Hello IronPython Community,
Just in time for the holidays we have released IronPython 2.0 Alpha 7! There’s been numerous changes to IronPython in the past month and a half. Most notably a lot of work has been done to get usage of the ‘yield’ statement compatible with CPython 2.5. There
might be a few more changes that need to be made, but by and far IP now adheres to PEP 342. Another notable change brings the code closer to the new hosting API spec we published on this mailing list. The next couple of releases should finish that work.
After careful consideration of your valuable feedback we’ve determined that 2.0A7 will be the last 2.0 release to be built and fully tested by us under Visual Studio 2005 tools. Beginning with 2.0 Alpha 8, IronPython.sln (included in the source zip file) will
be upgraded to VS 2008 format and we will only run our full test suite against binaries built from this. The 2005 version of IronPython.sln will then be deprecated although it will remain in the source zip file alongside IronPython.sln under the new name of
IronPython2005.sln for some time. At this point it’s unclear whether we’ll continue to update IronPython2005.sln.
Last but not least, a number of bugs have been closed:
- 10581 - Python25: Characters of hex values are uppercase in IP while they're lowercase in CPython 2.5
- 8961 - Cannot run globals().keys() after accessing the dictionary keys method of a function
- 12965 - doc broken
- 1689 - Raising attribute error from getattr doesn't propagate out, instead we throw a new attribute error
- 11491 - problem parsing conditional expression
- 8074 - ipy hangs if imported namespaces contain numbers
- 4716 - items = globals().items() in a module (not at console)
- 10637 - Function object missing func_closure Closed
- 6707 - Trivial: IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine().Sys.prefix is set to None
- 6770 - callable(builtins) has different results in ipy and Cpy
- 3953 - Trivial: Can convert float infinity to long in IronPython
- 11103 - Trivial: 'ipy.exe -c "something"' prints out the results of "something" to stdout
- 10856 - doc does not show up in dir() output on load (and has wrong contents)
- 2267 - sys.winver missing?
- 1352 - Trivial: Open paren at end-of-line raises SyntaxError in interactive console
- 12141 - Microsoft.Scripting.MethodBinder.ToString()
- 5446 - socket.getaddrinfo(...) proto parameter
- 5757 - PythonFile is not thread-safe
- 10474 - Need to ignore null paths in sys.path
We'd like to thank everyone in the community who reported these to make a better release: Jan Szumiec, arman0, orbital56, Seo Sanghyeon, glchapman, tscottw, jacobg23, brucec, leppie, and Christopher Baus.
You can download IronPython 2.0 Alpha 7 at:
The IronPython Team
ToyScript, a small scripting language built on top of the DLR, is merely a DLR sample and not some new scripting language Microsoft has created. Also, ToyScript is not intended to be distributed with IronPython on a permanent basis.